Thursday, October 30, 2008

The other side...

Learning to see life from another perspective is HARD! I find that I am utterly incapable of seeing life from someone else's eyes. Lord help me! The big question is, even if I can see and truly understand someone else's perspective, what happens when their perspective on life is wrong? What if their experiences and choices have led them to a world-view that is anti-biblical? How do i respond? How do I act? Do I say anything?

Jesus said this in Matthew 5:43-48:
"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

So I love those who hate me, how much more will I love those I disagree with? Let's define love:

  1. "A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.
  2. A person who is the object of deep or intense affection or attraction; beloved. Often used as a term of endearment.
  3. To have an intense emotional attachment to: loves his house.
  4. To embrace or caress.
  5. To have sexual intercourse with."
Love is more than an ineffable 'feeling' isn't it? Cannot love be expressed in terms of commitment, loyalty and actions? Love is often expressed by parents when they spank their children for doing something that will harm them, isn't it? Love is not blindly accepting another's beliefs and philosophies. Love is not allowing people to do whatever they want. If you have a deep, tender feeling of affection, you truly want what is best for the person you love, not ehri own opinions. And the same is true vis-a-versa. If I am truly loved, I expect those who love me to give me their input and express their concern for me and any areas of my life that may be harmful to myself or others.

No comments: